Delta-8 THC is one of the most popular cannabinoids in industry today, offering a smoother and more subdued high than the villainized Delta-9 THC (the powerful psychoactive element in marijuana). Delta-8 THC comes in a sprawling assortment of products and continues to dominate the market with brands that seem to pop up overnight. But just how much Delta-8 THC should you be consuming as part of a “proper dose?” In this article, you can find the the answer to this and many other dosage questions about this fascinating cannabinoid. Let’s begin!
The Truth About Delta-8 THC Dosages
If you’re curious about trying a particular Delta-8 THC product for the first time, your first thought is naturally “how much should I take? The short answer is that there is no magic dose that’s right for everyone. A dosage for Delta-8 THC varies by the individual; your weight, age, metabolism, gender, and previous exposure to THC. The dosage for Delta-8 THC also varies with the type of product consumed. Most manufacturers will list their recommended dosage on the container, but many manufacturers will leave the dosage amount up to the consumer. Yet with the staggering amount of Delta-8 THC products on the market, it might feel overwhelming to figure out how much to consume. Let’s take a look at some of the common products on the market and their recommended dosages.
This category of Delta-8 THC refers to anything you consume orally. These types of products will need to be digested before entering your bloodstream which means the effects will take longer to kick in.
- Gummies are the most common types of edibles, as they mask the flavor of Delta-8 THC and are often easy to consume. The standard amount of Delta-8 THC in gummies ranges from 10-40mg per gummy. If you’re trying a Delta-8 THC gummy for the first time, start with about 10mg (half a gummy) and increase your dose from there.
- Capsules are flavorless and often easy to swallow with a swig of water. Capsules contain a precise amount of Delta-8 THC, usually 25mg, so you’ll have to make sure you can tolerate the mg content in the capsule before consuming.
- Tinctures are a unique form of Delta-8 THC because they must be released and held under your tongue for a few seconds before swallowing. Tinctures are a bit tricky to dose because the amount must be measured in the dropper before releasing under your tongue. A full dropper of 1mL will typically contain anywhere from 20-40mg. You will need to perform basic math in order to get your dosage right, especially if you’re trying a tincture for the first time. Some brands may offer flavored or unflavored tinctures, so be sure to have some water nearby in case you need to rinse your mouth out.
Inhalables work differently than edibles in that you must inhale the smoke/vapor directly into your lungs. These products are a bit trickier to dose because it will depend on how deep your draw is and how long of a draw you take.
- The two main types of Delta-8 THC vapes come in screw-in cartridges or a disposable device. Vape cartridges require a specific device with a 510-connection while disposables only need to be charged prior to use. Vape cartridges and disposables usually come with one mL of e-liquid in their chamber, which will allow you to take about 100 puffs before the device is depleted. Most manufacturers will recommend between 1-3 puffs, which equates to roughly 1-5 milligrams per puff.
- Another rarer form of Delta-8 THC is flower, which is actually just CBD flower that has been infused with Delta-8 THC. Beware of buyers who claim to have natural Delta-8 THC flower, as this simply does not exist in nature. You’ll need to do some work in order to prepare the flower for use: grind the buds up, removing the seeds, and loading the ground buds into an empty cigarette cartridge, rolling paper, or herbalizer. Again, the recommended dosage for flower is between 1-3 puffs. Yet since the Delta-8 THC won’t be evenly distributed in each bud, you should monitor your reactions from just one puff. Wait at least 20 minutes before attempting to take your second puff.
The Potency Of Various Delta-8 THC Dosages
Delta-8 THC products are potent in both how many milligrams the product contains as a whole and how much Delta-8 THC is in each milligram. For example, a pack of gummies may contain a total of 500mg per pack but has a total count of 25 gummies. That means that there is 20mg of Delta-8 THC in each gummy. For products like tinctures, the dosage depends on how large the bottle is (30mL or 60mL) and how much Delta-8 THC is in the entire bottle. If a 30mL bottle contains a total of 1200mg of Delta-8 THC, a full dropper (1mL) will deliver 40mg of Delta-8 THC in a single serving. Knowing how much Delta-8 THC is in each serving size can help you tailor your dosages to your specific preferences.
Recommended Dosages for Delta-8 THC
If you’re new to dosing Delta-8 THC, it’s critical that you start off slowly to gauge how your body reacts. New users should start off with about 5-15mg of Delta-8 THC. Once you’ve had a chance to see how your body tolerates this dosage, you can move up to a more medium dose of 15-45mg. This level is usually the sweet spot for most users, and most companies will not recommend a dosage higher than this. However, if you’re a more seasoned THC user, you may want to consider an even stronger dosage of 45mg-150mg per serving. Be extremely cautious when taking this much Delta-8 THC in a single sitting, as it may have some negative side effects.
Is It Possible To Consume Too Much Delta-8 THC?
Just because Delta-8 THC offers a smoother high than traditional marijuana (Delta-9 THC) does not mean that you can consume more than the recommended dosage and not feel any adverse effects. Quite the opposite can happen. Consuming too much Delta-8 THC can actually increase your paranoia and may cause you to feel disoriented and unstable. You can feel extremely sleepy and often feel unable to move. If you happen to consume too much Delta-8 THC, the best thing to do is to try to relax and remind yourself that these feelings of paranoia will pass. Make sure to drink plenty of water and lay down. You can try to play soothing music or use a pillow to cuddle or hug. Depending on how high of a dose you consumed, it may take several hours for the effects to wear off. Try to be patient and remind yourself that the feelings that are currently overwhelming you will be over soon.
Reaction Times For Delta-8 THC
It’s important to be patient when waiting for the effects of Delta-8 THC to kick in. Different products will have different reaction times. Edibles like gummies, tinctures, and capsules typically take around 45-90 minutes to fully kick in. These products are great for beginners because they require no additional hardware and are often flavored for easier consumption. The high from these types of Delta-8 THC products can last for several hours, so make sure you have time to kill before chowing down on these tasty treats.
If you’re short on time or have experience with smoking/vaping, you may enjoy inhalables. Inhalables like vape cartridges require an external vape pen (called a battery) with a 510-connection that they can be screwed into. Disposable devices eliminate the need for hardware but must be charged prior to use. Flowers must be ground up and either poured into an emptied cigarette cartridge, wrapped up in rolling papers, or added to a specialized herbalizer. All of these types of inhalables are designed to be vaped or smoked, and may result in fits of coughing (even for experienced users). The reaction times of inhalables is extremely quick, taking anywhere from 5-20 minutes to kick in. The downside is that the high from inhalables are short-lived, lasting about an hour or so before tapering off.
Regardless of which method you choose, you should always give the product time to kick in before taking your next dose. Always mark your start time to ensure enough time has passed and try to keep track of when you start to feel the effects. This can help you tailor your dosages for future reference.
The world of Delta-8 THC is a fascinating one filled with both edibles and inhalables. New products are emerging every day that promise euphoric highs in a matter of minutes, such as THC infused beverages, oral strips, hard candies, and so much more. Understanding how to calculate the correct dosage for what you need can help you experience an exhilarating high that’s perfect for you. From simple edibles to advanced inhalables, you now have a better idea of how much Delta-8 THC you should consume in a single setting.
Remember that it’s important to start with a low dose until you can accurately gauge your body’s reaction to it. You can always increase your dose after enough time has passed or in your next Delta-8 THC session. Taking too much Delta-8 THC can cause you to experience negative effects and may even exacerbate your paranoia. There are many forms of Delta-8 THC that have different strengths, reaction times, and long-lasting effects. However you choose to experience a Delta-8 THC high, make sure you follow these guidelines for a smooth and relaxing high each and every time!